Saturday, July 28, 2012

Dunedin Douche Bag

This drawing is a bit of cathartic venting on my part.

The men's fashion in New Zealand drives me a little crazy.  Especially among college aged guys.  The fashion is typified by baggy-v neck shirts, dark shoes with long dark socks, and really really short boy's shorts with the bottoms rolled up even higher on the thigh.  It's a horrifying display of man thigh.

Lately I've been seeing a guy on campus with one of those "too cool for school" expressions, and everything he does makes me angry.  The other day I was walking behind him as he cut in front of traffic because he was too impatient to wait for the walk symbol.  But then he walked up to the door for handicapped people, slammed the automatic door button, and struck a little pose as he waited for the door to slowly open.  Even though I actually waited the fifteen seconds for the walk symbol to turn green, I still walked past him as he waited for the electric handicapped door to pen.  Apparently his arms were too weak to push the door open on his own.

It pissed me off so bad that I decided to immortalize the moment in digital technicolor.

It's really strange, because among some men in New Zealand (thankfully not all of them) there is a really false bravado that reminds me of insecure schoolyard bullies.  It is blatantly chauvinist.  It wouldn't be so bad if television advertisers didn't focus so much on that sub-set of population.  Every other commercial is about "Man"-this and "Man"- that.  Last year they were advertising Man Bread, Man Ice Cream, and (I swear I am not making this up) Man Yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment