Sunday, March 25, 2012

Noir Martian Manhunter


My version of Martian Manhunter.

I think this character has a lot of potential, but DC keeps handicapping him with a horrible costume and a supporting role in the JLA.  What the hell is the deal with his costume?  He looks like a green simian Chippendales dancer.  He just needs a bow-tie.  Observe:

"Everybody's working for the weekend."
For my version of J'onn J'onzz I wanted to place him back in the role of detective John Jones, and for him to have a more restrained set of superhuman abilities: just telepathy, telekinesis and intangibility.  With those abilities he could still make himself seem invisible, or shape-shift, but he wouldn't have all of that other Superman-esque malarky.  Those abilities would also make him an excellent detective, because almost no clue would be outside of his grasp.  There's something about detectives that seems so detached and lonely that I also think is very fitting for J'onn.

I like the idea of him existing outside of the mainstream DC universe as well.  The tendency of DC to stick heroes in the JLA seems to really smooth out interesting character traits, and makes everybody really cheesy.

Someone on Devart pointed out that it would be really cool to put him back in the 40's, and do an Area 51/Men in Black kind of story arch.  I really love that idea! 

No comments:

Post a Comment