Sunday, March 11, 2012

Winston Churchill


About two years ago (Summer 2010) Anna and I were visiting Toronto and saw a great statue of Winston Churchill in front of their city hall.  He was looking all hunched and curmudgeonly with his hands clenching his hips, but the best part - his head was absolutely drenched in seagull poop, and he even had one perched on top of his head.

The mixture of his expression, and the stupid seagull were hilarious.  I could almost hear the statue grumbling.

I took a picture at the time, intending to draw the scene, which I finally got around to tonight.  I thought it would be super easy to draw Churchill, but I struggled with his face to no end.  I'm still not entirely happy with the likeness, but I think I got the right expression.

And here's the picture I took, all of those years ago.  I originally had the building in the background, but Anna pointed out (rightly) that the tall building overshadowing him, made him look a little less regal and powerful.


This also gives you a comparison between how I see things, and the actual reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment